Friday, July 11, 2014

Summer Fun?

No, I don't intend to make this once-a-month posting a habit, but its been a busy few weeks. Also, I realized just how much time I was spending on the internet and decided to take a few days off completely from reading blogs (sorry I haven't been commenting, I've got a huge backlog to get through this weekend!)

I don't usually succumb to FOMO (fear-of-missing-out), but it really hit me after the 4th, seeing on blogs and facebook feeds all the awesome "essence of summer" things people are doing---all the pool time, beach vacays, family reunions, fireworks, picnics, parades. We did...nothing. We stayed in town, skipped the parade because it was drizzly and planning to storm (though it never did), skipped the fireworks because its crazy crowded and the fireworks don't go off until after 11pm, skipped the public pool because I walked by and saw the line outside... Basically we had a very ordinary, but not at all relaxing (because the kids were REALLY something else those 3 days) weekend. Lots of meltdowns, time-outs, yelling, and outings gone awry.

I've been on service all week with brand spanking new fellows (trainees in my subspecialty, straight out of residency) and its been challenging in good & bad ways. I do like clinical work and teaching, but even after a week I get tired of some of the b.s. consults we get and all the nonsense scutwork that is involved (even though I don't have to do the scutwork anymore, it pains me to have to tell the fellows to do it).

After all that calorie counting, I didn't lose a single ounce, but I did make some changes to my diet that hopefully will---over the long run---have positive consequences for my health. I'm still using my FitBit.  I realize that I get 10K steps on very ordinary days when I'm not trying to get more steps. 15K on consults or when I pick up the kids or run in the morning. 20-30K on weekends if I go for long runs and we have some major walking outing---though my lowest count ever was last Sunday when I got 7K because I went nowhere except about a mile to (a very heavy) brunch.

I've been reading a LOT. Maybe I'll do a post about recent books I read.

Hmmm, my work phone has been suspiciously quiet, I better investigate what's going on...

3 comments:

  1. This is my summer so far: http://xykademiqz.wordpress.com/2014/07/04/what-i-do-all-summer/
    But the rest of the family is visiting my in-laws in a couple of weeks while I'm um, at a conference. (Where I get to see lots of my friends! Yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I was one of those people off at a family reunion type thing, but I can assure you, it's not as nice as it looks on FB. ;) we aren't doing much the rest of the summer and I'm quite thankful for that. I need some down time after our two trips. They were fun enough, but ultimately they were more trouble than they were probably worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we have no local family to do anything with, we have to create the experiences we want. It takes a LOT of effort (and I often think it shouldn't be THIS hard), but it does pay off when we had 3 events to attend on 4th of July which was a first in my older son's 7 yrs of life. I, too, stress about all the friends who don't even think to include us and wonder why that is. Sometimes I literally have to invite ourselves to functions (when I know the folks well and can work it into conversation).

    Things are so different than when I was a kid in terms of how plans come together. At the end of the day, while I don't like the feeling of having no plans or not being included when I wish that we were, we make our own fun.

    ReplyDelete