Thursday, May 14, 2015

Sleep is for the...well someone who isn't me apparently

So. B was up from 12:30-4:30 AM last night. Yes, my five year old. I dunno what was going on, he had a stuffy nose, but no stuffier than every other night in the past 5 years. He kept waking up crying, and then bounding out of bed and running downstairs and then calling for me. G dealt with him from 12:30 to 1:30 when B said he wanted to sleep in his bed and so G came up and fell hard asleep. I kept hearing him running through the house, crying, and looking for me though so I put him back in bed twice. Finally I decided to sleep with him in the guest room and it was the same routine. Sleep for 5 minutes. Get up, whimper, get out of bed, and ask if it was wake-up time yet. I finally woke G up at and had him deal with B so I could at least get a couple of hours of sleep. Of course, L was woken up by the whole thing and came to join me, so the "sleep" consisted of fitfully dozing while he kneaded me in the stomach with his feet. Then G thought it was a good idea to wake me up and ask me a million questions at 6:15. He later said he thought it was 8 AM. What.

B was a mess this morning, obviously, crying at the drop of a dime, and puffy eyed. It happens to be picture day at the school and we'd already ordered some pictures. I guess they will just be awful unless someone manages to get him to smile. I will then pay that someone a lot of $ to have them follow us around and cheer B up, he's a grump at the best of times. We did have some (delirious) laughs at breakfast this morning, so there's that. We kind of felt all in it together, which made it better. Its the worst when its just me and G is all "what's wrong with you, oh yeah, I forgot you didn't sleep well". 

To add salt to the wound, I had gone to bed early last night because I was tired and had a migraine. I ended up falling asleep at 10 and I was supposed to sleep until my alarm went off at 5:30 to work out. the work out didn't happen & my head is aching again. I've been surprisingly productive---I'm motivated to get out of here early and got a million things done, but I have a quick meeting at 3:30 so I'm writing this.

The only thing that kept me from losing it as 2 AM became 3AM became 4AM was reminding myself that it was going to be a beautiful day today and if nothing else, I could take some breaks to wake myself up and enjoy it. Also, remembering that I actually do OK after one night of awful sleep. Its the second night that kills me. Oh and we were DEFINITELY going to have dinner out tonight. I am not cooking or cleaning.

So yeah, I boring post complaining about a sleepless night. I feel like a first time mom of a newborn!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Ana. I get it. Boy do I get it.

    Ironically, Tiny Boy slept great last night, but I woke up at 3:00 and didn't really fall back to sleep. I spent the morning doing important work and the afternoon unsuccessfully trying to nap. Just cleaned up a bit, will pick up kids early, try to enjoy them, and say goodnight early tonight...

    Maybe this is just me trying to make myself feel better, but I think sleep deprivation is WORSE when you don't have a newborn, and all those newborn hormones, but you do have the need to be functional, like when you have 3+ year olds!

    Hope tonight is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two year old had some rough nights earlier this week. I wonder what's going on!

    I hope things get better for you and B. Not getting enough sleep sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I agree, one night is survivable, and hopefully that's all you had to deal with. But it sucks! Good call on buying dinner.

    It's always hard to remember to feel bad for the kid who's obviously not feeling well, when they're driving you crazy. Anyway, I hope last night was better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, lack of sleep sucks & it sucks especially bad when you need to be functional and kind to small children. Not one of my parenting strengths. So really I feel for you. We're doing 9 month sleep regression at our house right now. If she's not better in a month or so, I may actually try sleep training. Otherwise I'm too mean to the 5 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lack of sleep thing is so hard. There's a reason why they use it to torture people. I hope you were able to get some more sleep this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we figured it out for us. Molars. Could it be teething related -- aren't there 6 year molars?

    ReplyDelete