Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Progress

 Happy Inauguration Day!!!!

I had an all day leadership seminar that got cancelled, I feel like I got a gift of time so that I can catch up on work, watch the inauguration with the rest of my family, and just generally take a breath.

I didn't post about goals this year, because I didn't really make any. I just want to continue making progress on the things I'm working on, and keep up the good work on the things I've got under control.

Working on:

-Unplugging in the evening

-Not eating/drinking after dinner (its Pavlovian, if I sit down to watch ANYTHING after 9 pm, I feel the NEED for a drink or snack. I can avoid it by just going to bed, but sometimes I want to stay up!)

-Meditation habit 

Got down:

-Getting outside

-Exercising 

-Writing in 5-year journal (I had to buy a new one, cuz I started in 2016! There are some stretches I completely skipped for some years, but since 2020 I've been consistent)

Per my therapist, the only thing I need to work on is pausing, breathing, and being in the moment. I think a lot of the above is related to that general theme---being present, doing one thing at a time (i.e. watching a show and enjoying that without needing a snack), pausing and thinking before I react.

I feel like I have one big fatal flow---the frequent need to be distracted from my life---and if I could figure that out, I'd be golden. But of course it can't be that simple? 

2 comments:

  1. Ana, I have the same snacking problem. If I sit down with LG on the couch at 9, I eat. I've managed to shift to popcorn or pistachios but still... If I stay upstairs, I'm not tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it help to just not purchase snack food? I have no self control when confronted with chips and salsa, cookies, ice cream... so I try really hard not to buy them for myself.

    I like this idea of pausing and breathing. I can think of many times today that it helped, but I could be better at it.

    ReplyDelete