Monday, January 2, 2012

Priorities and goals

I used to  find the idea of new year's resolutions pretty silly and arbitrary---if you want to make changes in your life, why wait until the new year? Of course, I was young, and didn't think I needed to make any changes.  I've since grown into the idea of periodic reflection and prioritization. And January 1st, with the indulgences of the holidays behind us, and a clean slate before us, does seem like as good a time as any. This time of year has also come to embody change and growth after the upheaval I experienced in my life with the birth of my son 2 years ago.

This time last year I decided that it was time to emerge from the survival mode of B's first year and work on some key areas of my life while we were waiting to conceive baby #2.   If you read my 2011 post, you know that this project ended before it even began (if you didn't read it...I got pregnant in January). So now that L is no longer in the newborn stage and I'm back at work (I've been back for a couple of weeks but because of the holidays it's been....slow) I'm going back to it. I wanted to make positive changes in all the important aspects of life: health, marriage, motherhood, career, and self.  To keep this post from becoming a novel, I'll talk about one each day over the next week. I know these posts are un-original, but I do want to think through these topics and hold myself accountable by declaring my goals to the world (or the tiny tiny corner of the world that contains my blog readers!)

1 comment:

  1. I can really relate to where you are right now. It didn't exactly correlate with the New Year but last year I decided that I was ready to finally turn inward again and then, just as I was making the first real steps in that direction, surprise BFP! Not that I am upset about this surprise, scared yes, ungrateful no. I look forward to hearing your goals and learning as you succeed in implementing them. Hopefully, I can offer a bit of support along the way as well.

    ReplyDelete