- Cue immediate stress and self-esteem plummet. I'm a terrible researcher, no one will want to mentor me, the grant will never be funded and I'll have to find a new job, etc...
- Coping mechanisms are mobilized---buy $50 sunglasses on line, complain to G, drink wine, go to bed early
- Self-esteem rebounds, and annoyance takes its place---what a piss poor mentor, wouldn't she notify all her mentees and help them develop a game plan? How is this MY fault?
- The steel enters my backbone---I'm not going to let this one stupid thing ruin what several others have stated are pretty good chances for funding.
- Action---I have met with and identified a new mentor, someone who has some interesting thoughts for how I can further develop this project (and who agreed that ex-mentor did a pretty shitty thing).
All within 24 hours.
And I wonder why I don't get any "work" done at work.