Monday, January 5, 2015

2015 Word of the Year and Fun List

I admit I like the "one word" for the year thing. Its completely arbitrary to declare a focus for any specific 365-day period, and to begin that period on January 1st makes it even more ridiculous. But, I like reflection and taking stock and making plans and goals so here we go.

My word for 2015 is: Strength.

This one came to mind immediately when I thought of my goals for the upcoming year. I've been working really hard on personal strength, both physical and mental (HIIT! Therapy!) and also on strengthening my marriage and relationships. I want to continue working on these things, and have no desire or space for starting anything new.

The Fun List for this year has a few repeats---things I did and want to do again, as well as things I didn't get through and still want to try.
  • Vacation, just the 4 of us
  • Orchestra performance
  • Summer concert in the park
  • Museum exhibit without the kids
  • Do an "activity" date---take a class, go bowling, etc...
  • Find 4 new bands/artists that I like
  • Ice-skating, with B (G refuses, L is too little)
  • Host a party at our house
  • Celebrate birthdays in big (yet small) ways
  • See Fourth of July fireworks
  • Weekend away without the kids 
These seem manageable---some are already in the works and some just require me booking the sitter and getting tickets. I really want to have a party, its been several years, and there isn't anything seriously wrong with our house that would preclude having party---just laziness on our parts.
I'm looking forward to it!

5 comments:

  1. Your fun list sounds great. I asked my kids tonight to list what they'd like to put on a family fun list and it was kind of surprising yet also explained many things. I have given birth to a bunch of home bodies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or just diminishing marginal utility of going out and doing things all the time. If they stayed home every weekend they'd probably want to go out for their family fun list.

      Delete
  2. I love this list! I think I might need to make one of my own. I would love to host a party as well, but I would really love it to be an ADULT party. We host the wee woman's bday party every year, and its a pretty big affair, but I would love to prepare food that grown ups would enjoy. No hot dogs and chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! My theme for the year is "re-evaluation". Great list! Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great list. I hope you get to check everything off. I really like the "activity" date thing. We've done a couple of those and they are far more memorable than a dinner out - although, of course dinner out is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete