Thursday, January 21, 2016

Three Things I Wish I Didn't Enjoy

Social Media Self explanatory for most of us here, right? Imagine all the good I could do in the world if I spent even half as much time on FB or blogs. There is definitely a negative correlation between how much time I spend on social media and my mood...BUT...I haven't determined the "causation" here. I know being anxious/upset leads me to distract myself, but also spending too much time reading things that are depressing or make me feel inadequate can turn a perfectly good mood into some FOMO/what-is-the-world-coming-to bitterness. I really like Mel's strategy of asking myself WHY I'm picking up my phone (or opening up my browser). Its all about being intentional with your usage, which will hopefully limit the mindless checking. The problem is that I keep forgetting to ask myself anything until its a little too late!

Booze I do sort of envy the "oh, I just don't care for the taste" or "I maybe have a drink every few months" types. If it weren't unhealthy for me, I'd have a drink most days (but it is, so I don't, but I still always feel like I should cut back even more). I like the taste, I like the celebratory feel, and I really like the loosening in my shoulders when I have a glass of wine at the end of the day.

Clothes   Call me shallow, but I like wearing nice clothes. What I wear affects my mood. I refuse to wear dirty stained raggedy sweat pants around the house as recommended by your favorite uber-frugal bloggers. Blech.  And of course, liking clothes often does lead to buying clothes! (Yes, I am "shopping my closet", but that doesn't really eliminate the desire for new things once in a while.) I love browsing online or through catalogs and seeing all the beautiful things that could be mine (and then making them mine!) I wish I only wanted one pair of shoes & didn't mind wearing the same thing for years at a time and only bought new things when old ones wore out.

To balance this out, here are three things I'm glad I like: exercise, reading, vegetables.

What do you wish you hated?

19 comments:

  1. I SOOOOO wish I didn't enjoy really good food. If I didn't enjoy really good food, it would be so much easier to keep my weight and my budget under control.

    And then there's wine- there's nothing I enjoy more than a glass of wine with dinner. This also contributes to the weight and budget issues. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup, the food thing was a runner up. I feel like I'm better off than many because I really do like "healthy" food like veggies & fruits, but I wish I liked more SIMPLE food...I can't imagine eating for example, poached fish and steamed veggies. I need some curry or sauce or some other excitement with my food! It takes time/energy/money and is probably less healthy.

      Delete
  2. Soda - really, just Coke in particular. It's by far my biggest vice. I've successfully cut it out or back from time to time over the years, but I always fall back into my old ways. I love it soooo much. :-/

    Also, staying up late to read. I wish I loved going to bed early, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE going to bed early. that was #4 on the "things I'm glad I like" list, though it isn't actually great for my marriage.

      Delete
  3. I was going to say pastries, but only if I could get the same enjoyment that I get from them from something good for me, like maybe exercise. On the whole, I don't think I want to take pleasure away from myself, but I do wish I could get pleasure from more productive options.

    Also: on the alcohol I would totally trade you-- my face gets hot and tight and my nose turns bright read. So that limits my drinking before I can even get close to tipsy, at least in company. So embarrassing.

    I would also prefer to enjoy clothes shopping just a little bit more so it wasn't such a pain whenever I have to do it. (Also: I recommend at least 3 pairs of shoes, preferably 4. One is definitely not enough.) It's not that I dislike clothing though, just shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but cocktail parties are so infrequent, right? who cares? I'd rather have that situation then be tempted to have a couple glasses of wine every night.

      Delete
    2. And most people don't actively DISLIKE clothing, but its more functional, vs....what's the word I want, "expressive"?

      Delete
    3. I don't think it is not expressive either. I just don't like trying on things that don't fit. Possibly lingering body image issues.

      In any case, I don't think I want to take pleasure away since even pastries are not destructive in moderation. Where's the joy in life if little pleasures are gone?

      Delete
  4. Things I wish I liked less: cookies, sleeping, complaining.

    Things I am glad I like: learning new stuff, writing, talking to my patients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha complaining is a great one. And funny you said sleeping as a negative (I always thought of it that way, until very recently) while others list it is a positive they WISH they had. it seems there is a "grass is greener" thing going on with a lot of these!

      Delete
  5. Sugar is absolutely my vice. And TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TV almost made my list, too, but I'm pretty good at limiting it and I only watch what really "sparks joy" when I have the time.

      Delete
  6. ooh, i love love love this post idea. I'm going to steal it :) The only one I can think of is social media, but it's a BIG one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, seriously. I can't even imagine what I could do with all that extra brain space & time.

      Delete
  7. Sweets. Sleeping (especially staying up late and sleeping late). Staying inside all day when it's under 45/50 degrees (so basically, all winter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather one is original! I understand the urge but I hate staying inside all day so I get myself out and its usually not so bad once I'm out there (today was much much worse than I expected though. brrrrr)

      Delete
  8. Love this post! Will definitely be writing one like it on my blog. Until then... Things I wish I liked less: buying all the things (especially clothes and shit for my kids), going to bed late and sleeping late (even if I get the same amount of sleep, but earlier, I don't feel as well rested), alcohol (especially cocktails).
    Things I'm glad I like: reading/learning, exercise, bettering myself.

    Gaddamn I wish I liked vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bettering myself...good one. But sometimes I wish I wasn't so fixated on it...its a mixed blessing. It seems so much easier/happier to just...be...without all the self-reflection & self-improvement. but I'm just not wired that way, I can barely imagine.

      Delete
  9. I definitely agree with your 3, although for me it's more about reading / commenting on blogs and playing games than FB, Twitter, etc... I love pinterest a little too much though.

    ReplyDelete