Friday, June 14, 2013

These things are not moral failings...

Just a tiny rant about things I've recently seen people get judge-y about. I consider than simply a matter of personal preference, personality, or biology rather than a reflection on underlying character, values, or moral fiber.

I may or may not relate to any of these...* 
  • Being a picky or non-adventurous eater (or having kids that are that way)
  • Dislike (or inability) to wake up early
  • Not liking to travel or being unadventurous in your travel destinations
  • Watching TV (or letting your kids watch TV)
  • Having 0, 1, 4 or any number of children you can care for financially and emotionally
  • Enjoying clothes, or shoes, or shopping
  • Preferring the non-high-brow version of things like beer, chocolate, cheese
  • Not being interested in or adept at the cutely domestic things like scrapbooking, knitting, sewing, baking, gardening 
  • Cooking "semi homemade" style rather than making your own bread, pasta sauce, etc....
  • Going on a regular date night
  • Not going on a regular date night
  • Dressing in ways that may be considered "flashy" or "inappropriate" 
  • Being overweight, underweight, or normal weight
Seriously most of these have come up in the last few weeks.

*Bet you can't guess which ones apply to me!


7 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hate judgey-ness. Seriously, WHO HAS THE TIME?! I barely have the time to give a shit about these things for myself, I certainly don't have the band width to care what others think/feel about them. SO LAME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not like you can't open the news and find real things to judge people on-- mass murders, child abuse, politicians with questionable ethics, racists hating on a sweet 11 year old kid singing the Star Spangled Banner because his ancestors were Mexican... plenty of stuff for a person to get their judge-on on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, I can relate to this on many levels. As you might imagine.

    I remember how sad I was when I discovered that arriving at work an hour earlier than everyone else was considered a virtue, but arriving on time and staying an hour later was a sign of incompetence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, and yes. I judge myself plenty ... we don't need to participate in public stonings. I wish people were more gentle with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I can come across as judge-y regarding international travel, but I really don't judge much. I think I'm too self-involved to care that much about what others are doing (unless they're hurting someone)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But...I LOVE JUDGING OTHER PEOPLE. I figure as long as I accept that I am not right and they are not wrong (except in some cases, like vaccination), and I keep my mouth shut, I am allowed to take part in this fun sport.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I subscribe to Bunny's point of view. While I am obviously perfect, and my choices are THE choices that one should make, I can still live with the very imperfect choices of my less-than-perfect peers, as long as I get to judge them. I do not tell them as such, or perhaps not always, but yes, I do judge. I would say though that I judge maybe less than I am judged. Or not, who knows, the silent judgements may not be judgements at all, people are shortsighted and need to squint and I take that as a judgement on my lack of make up... :-)

    ReplyDelete