Friday, July 1, 2016

We're back!

We actually got back Wednesday night, but yesterday was a bit nuts for many reasons and I never got around to writing. I'll give y'all more actual details about the trip next week. Today I just wanted to share my general thoughts and feelings (shocker!)

Overall, it was good. There were certainly terrible moments, because the kids didn't suddenly become angels, and neither did we! The first few days were by far the best. There were moments when I was nearly tearful with joy & gratitude that we got to be together in this beautiful place, with nothing to do but enjoy it. We certainly made memories! By the end I was ready to go home---not that I wasn't enjoying myself, but I was getting a bit antsy with all the togetherness & lack of responsibility. I never thought I'd get tired of playing in the ocean, eating crap, and day drinking, but I guess there is a limit!

I was ready to get back to the gym. To cooking and eating healthy meals (which will have to wait a couple days because we haven't had a chance to shop/prep yet). To some alone time, meditation, planning, organizing. What I was NOT ready to get back to was work.  I thought I'd come back refreshed and recharged and motivated...but yesterday felt just as blah and focus-less as the day before we left. Oh well.

Even the kids were ready to get back to their routines. Yesterday evening L said to me "Mommy, I'm glad we came home from our trip"  Why, I asked him. "Because I like it here. I like my school and friends, and our house, and playing." What a wonderful endorsement of the life we've created for him (but really, a manifestation of his amazingly positive & grateful personality). B had a great first day at camp, where he got to play with a friend from school, his best friend from aftercare, and an old friend from daycare. Unfortunately, the way our schedules worked out, he is only at this camp for two days, and then starts another camp next week (for 6 weeks) and then will be back to this one for a few half weeks (around our next trip---I'm taking the boys to visit my parents in August).

I'm really glad we have a 3 day weekend ahead of us to re-organize and get ready for the rest of the summer! We haven't planned anything, but the weather looks hot & sunny so we will probably alternate outdoor/water play with indoor Legos and movies. We need to shop, meal plan, unpack, do laundry, take several bags of clothes to donate, sort mail, declutter, etc...

The boys want to make lemonade and see the dinosaur exhibit and go to Finding Dory. I want to go to Body Pump and barre. G wants to buy jeans. I'm sure we can make all those happen!


2 comments:

  1. even if you were ready to get back to the routine, this sentence says it all: "The first few days were by far the best. There were moments when I was nearly tearful with joy & gratitude that we got to be together in this beautiful place, with nothing to do but enjoy it". Definitely a success!

    The vacay sounds heavenly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to go away from home, but also nice to come back. Sounds like your time was very relaxing! Like you, I can only take so many days of junky food before I really start to feel it.

    ReplyDelete