Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Its the Little Things

I'm sipping tea, piping hot with water from my brand-new electric kettle. Staying hydrated without freezing is always nice, and we don't have a hot water dispenser in this office.

The long weekend was...long. Which is sort of a good thing, there were moments that really felt relaxing. But there was also a lot of whining, yelling, fighting, and maybe too much snacking on my part. We made some great meals (these chicken thighs with this asparagus was my fave), had friends over for brunch (and enjoyed this amazing casserole), watched all 3 of The Mighty Ducks movies (I did miss the first one, since I had to go to work on Friday), and each got in a work out. We also did several loads of laundry, grocery shopping, lunch prepping and a very little cleaning (since we had friends coming over...we did the first floor). There was soccer (L) and basketball (L, B, and G who is assistant coach).

If I had to pick, my favorite time was when both boys went with a friend to the science museum for several hours yesterday. I parked myself in the warmest, sunniest spot in our house (the guest room bed), and did some work and read a book for hours at a time. I totally owe the mom now, but it was well worth it. I finished "The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells" by Andrew Sean Greer and I LOVED it, found it really unique and thought provoking. Earlier in the weekend I also I also finished January & February's book club picks: the audiobook of Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward (eh) and the e-book of The Mother of Black Hollywood by Jenifer Lewis (it was pretty good as far as celebrity memoirs go, but that is my least favorite genre).

Even with some tasks off my list yesterday, I am still way behind where I want to be at work. I set myself a goal to deal with all lingering patient issues by the end of the week so I basically divided my inbox into 4 groups and will tackle one group per day of backlog as well as anything new that comes in that day. I also set three major research-related tasks per day, since 3 seems like a do-able number and if I add EVERYTHING to the list, sometimes NOTHING happens because I get completely overwhelmed and clean my office or start looking up vacation destinations instead.

OK, off to tackle the inbox!





No comments:

Post a Comment